• Mint 20.04. Errors reported every startup

    From pinnerite@pinnerite@gmail.com to alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sat Mar 13 19:36:14 2021
    From Newsgroup: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    I have a very erratic Intel Powered Mint 20.04 machine.
    Every time it comes up, it reports one or more errors and asks if I want to report it/them. I nearly always do but that gets me nowhere.

    The most significant lines in the crash reports are:

    PythonArgs: ['/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher']
    Traceback:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher", line 74, in <module>
    if confirm_restart():
    File "/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher", line 34, in confirm_restart
    d = Gtk.MessageDialog(title=None, parent=None, flags=0, message_type=Gtk.MessageType.WARNING)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 319, in new_init
    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 577, in __init__
    self._init(*args, **new_kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 319, in new_init
    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 520, in __init__
    raise RuntimeError(
    RuntimeError: Gtk couldn't be initialized. Use Gtk.init_check() if you want to handle this case.
    UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin mysql mythtv plugdev sambashare sudo _LogindSession: c1

    Unfortunately I cannot understand why they show up and not my other mint powered machines.

    Suggestions please.








    --
    Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
    running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From The Sidhe@Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net to alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sat Mar 13 20:09:06 2021
    From Newsgroup: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote in news:20210313193614.6820cd7c4ca35743293e0e61@gmail.com:

    a very erratic Intel Powered Mint 20.04 machine

    You already have the answer, Intel does not like Linux,
    I wont bother to ask what it prefers, this breaches the
    question, in order to continue to use these modern
    machines you must use their choice of software, hardware
    and current narratives, I say save those old precessors
    and figure out how to use them on the newer mother
    boards.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Mike Easter@MikeE@ster.invalid to alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sat Mar 13 12:30:42 2021
    From Newsgroup: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    The Sidhe wrote:
    Intel does not like Linux,

    Where did you get that idea?

    Personally for my hardware purchases I lean toward AMD, but Intel does
    like linux.

    There's a reddit discussion w/ scores of comments "AMD or Intel CPU:
    Which has better linux support?"

    Linus Torvalds needs a powerful machine and he recently switched to an
    AMD powered one rather than his traditional Intel.

    Intel dev/s a great linux OS for its own 'purposes' which has better performance on Intel CPUs than other linux distro/s -- Clear OS.

    There are just over 2 dozen top tier corporate sponsors considered
    'Platinum' by contributing over $0.5 mil annually to the Linux
    Foundation of which Intel is one. AMD is down there at Silver which is something less than $100k.

    --
    Mike Easter
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From The Sidhe@Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net to alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sat Mar 13 21:15:33 2021
    From Newsgroup: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in news:ib4lnjFheb1U1@mid.individual.net:

    The Sidhe wrote:
    Intel does not like Linux,

    Where did you get that idea?

    Personally for my hardware purchases I lean toward
    AMD, but
    Intel does like linux.

    There's a reddit discussion w/ scores of comments
    "AMD or Intel
    CPU: Which has better linux support?"

    Linus Torvalds needs a powerful machine and he
    recently switched
    to an AMD powered one rather than his traditional
    Intel.

    Intel dev/s a great linux OS for its own 'purposes'
    which has
    better performance on Intel CPUs than other linux
    distro/s --
    Clear OS.

    There are just over 2 dozen top tier corporate
    sponsors
    considered 'Platinum' by contributing over $0.5 mil
    annually to
    the Linux Foundation of which Intel is one. AMD is
    down there
    at Silver which is something less than $100k.


    All your talk of corporate takeovers diminishes my
    thoughts, what:about:your thoughts about the hardware
    required to keep channels open, how do you imagine the
    communication industry will survive, have you succomed
    to this modern day belief you have my prayer
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From Mike Easter@MikeE@ster.invalid to alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sat Mar 13 14:49:06 2021
    From Newsgroup: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    The Sidhe wrote:
    All your talk of corporate takeovers diminishes my
    thoughts, what:about:your thoughts about the hardware
    required to keep channels open, how do you imagine the
    communication industry will survive, have you succomed
    to this modern day belief you have my prayer

    I don't know how to parse these statements into a coherent stream; it
    reminds me of some of Flasherly's.

    While there are certainly corporate 'takeovers' all over the place; I
    wasn't talking of any.

    I can't say about my thoughts about hardware to keep channels open
    because I don't know which channels you are referring.

    The communication industry seems to be doing grandly; sat/s of every
    orbital type everywhere and proliferating, wireless cells going ever
    faster and faster. I even use my home's old twisted copper for
    telephoning with more features than ever for 'free' (piggy-backed onto
    my broadband internet connectivity via a device and Google Voice) when previously I was paying $60/mo for 2 old AT&T lines which were extremely
    hard for AT&T to troubleshoot when they had problems. Now I have more
    than 2 functional lines including both cell and VoIP.

    The most modern hardware works fine on linux. I'll post an example of
    an article from a few years ago 2016 Sep in which there was a mistaken reporting that some Intel & AMD CPUs weren't supporting linux but only
    Win10.

    https://www.theregister.com/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/?ma=1505520015001
    Latest Intel, AMD chips will only run Windows 10 ... and Linux, BSD, OS X

    That is, the report that Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Zen chips only
    supported Win10 actually meant that earlier *Wins* weren't supported.

    The fact is that older Win users sometimes have a harder problem w/ such
    as drivers for newer hardware than do linux users. The worm has turned.

    --
    Mike Easter
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From DanS@t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m to alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun Mar 14 08:36:16 2021
    From Newsgroup: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in news:ib4tr4Fiv09U1@mid.individual.net:

    The Sidhe wrote:
    All your talk of corporate takeovers diminishes my
    thoughts, what:about:your thoughts about the hardware
    required to keep channels open, how do you imagine the
    communication industry will survive, have you succomed
    to this modern day belief you have my prayer

    I don't know how to parse these statements into a coherent
    stream; it reminds me of some of Flasherly's.


    You don't.

    You let it pass as the incoherent useless drivel it is, and move on to the next post.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From The Sidhe@Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net to alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun Mar 14 15:35:30 2021
    From Newsgroup: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in news:ib4tr4Fiv09U1@mid.individual.net:

    The Sidhe wrote:
    All your talk of corporate takeovers diminishes my
    thoughts, what:about:your thoughts about the
    hardware
    required to keep channels open, how do you imagine
    the
    communication industry will survive, have you
    succomed
    to this modern day belief you have my prayer

    I don't know how to parse these statements into a
    coherent
    stream; it reminds me of some of Flasherly's.

    While there are certainly corporate 'takeovers' all
    over the
    place; I wasn't talking of any.

    I can't say about my thoughts about hardware to keep
    channels
    open because I don't know which channels you are
    referring.

    The communication industry seems to be doing
    grandly; sat/s of
    every orbital type everywhere and proliferating,
    wireless cells
    going ever faster and faster. I even use my home's
    old twisted
    copper for telephoning with more features than ever
    for 'free'
    (piggy-backed onto my broadband internet
    connectivity via a
    device and Google Voice) when previously I was
    paying $60/mo for
    2 old AT&T lines which were extremely hard for AT&T
    to
    troubleshoot when they had problems. Now I have
    more than 2
    functional lines including both cell and VoIP.

    The most modern hardware works fine on linux. I'll
    post an
    example of an article from a few years ago 2016 Sep
    in which
    there was a mistaken reporting that some Intel & AMD
    CPUs
    weren't supporting linux but only Win10.

    https://www.theregister.com/2016/09/02/windows_intel
    _kaby_lake_am
    d_zen/?ma=1505520015001
    Latest Intel, AMD chips will only run Windows 10
    ... and
    Linux, BSD, OS X

    That is, the report that Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Zen
    chips only
    supported Win10 actually meant that earlier *Wins*
    weren't
    supported.

    The fact is that older Win users sometimes have a
    harder problem
    w/ such as drivers for newer hardware than do linux
    users. The
    worm has turned.


    My point was how hardware is being employed to censor
    everything but the state approved information. Yes
    there are many sats which relay information to
    anywhere on this planet, but it is being shaped by
    some people who only wish you listen to thier analysis
    of world events. What good can come from an endless
    stream of propaganda, when eventually whatever channel
    you seek to educate yourself will contain the same
    identical script. See bitly https://wp.me/p2vCQD-o59i
    In the post What would happen if Usenet went away?
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113
  • From pinnerite@pinnerite@gmail.com to alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Sun Mar 14 19:16:42 2021
    From Newsgroup: alt.os.linux.ubuntu

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 19:36:14 +0000
    pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

    I have a very erratic Intel Powered Mint 20.04 machine.
    Every time it comes up, it reports one or more errors and asks if I want to report it/them. I nearly always do but that gets me nowhere.

    The most significant lines in the crash reports are:

    PythonArgs: ['/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher']
    Traceback:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher", line 74, in <module>
    if confirm_restart():
    File "/usr/bin/cinnamon-launcher", line 34, in confirm_restart
    d = Gtk.MessageDialog(title=None, parent=None, flags=0, message_type=Gtk.MessageType.WARNING)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 319, in new_init
    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 577, in __init__
    self._init(*args, **new_kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/__init__.py", line 319, in new_init
    return super_init_func(self, **new_kwargs)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py", line 520, in __init__
    raise RuntimeError(
    RuntimeError: Gtk couldn't be initialized. Use Gtk.init_check() if you want to handle this case.
    UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin mysql mythtv plugdev sambashare sudo _LogindSession: c1

    Unfortunately I cannot understand why they show up and not my other mint powered machines.

    Suggestions please.

    None of the responses relate to the question and seem to have gone off on a personal crusade.

    Well, I forced reinstalls of cinnamon and python3. I couldn't work out what to do about gtk. Nothing obvious worked. I had to reboot a coupl of times because I needed kernel ..... 54 to avoid having to compile my TBS DVB-TV drivers.

    As before an error message box showed up inviting me to report it. Other than that, so far it is working and there are no new log messages in /var/crash although my work machine serving as a remote TV frontend has had a couple of brief disconnect/reconnect spots with the backend on the intel box.

    However it always takes between one and three days to seize up if it is going to.

    Regarding the AMD/Intel duel:

    It so happens that I usually choose AMD processors. At the moment, apart from an unused redundant netbook, this is my only Intel processor based machine.

    The mothernoard was chosen because at the time it was the only one available in micro-ATX format with on-board wi-fi, graphics and a free PC1e-16 slot. The core-i3 processor was selected because of its low TDP of 55W. I continue not to find an AMD powered equivalent.


    --
    Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
    running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
    --- Synchronet 3.18a-Linux NewsLink 1.113